We have a new visitor!
We first saw one Powerful Owl sitting in the Jacaranda tree last week.
This is the (rather gruesome) photo I was able to take.
Yes, that's a Ring-tail Possum's tail hanging from his claws.
That's it! Just the tail.
Powerful Owls are the largest Australian owl species, being 40 to 50 cm tall. My book says their main diet is small rodents and Ring-tail possums. Our owls are definitely fond of the Ring-tail diet. His mate was there as well yesterday - and they had another Ring-tail.
We've had quite a few Brush-tail possums about but I hadn't seen the smaller Ring-tail, until the owl had it for dinner.
1 comment:
Jilly,
Thanks so much for sharing this. I have a great love for owls.
He is much larger than my little screech owl and beautiful.
Also thanks for visiting my blog and your nice comment,
xoxo
Post a Comment